Senior Platform Engineer - Network Security
Purpose & Overall Relevance for the Organization:
The Network Security Engineer is responsible for the design and implementation of connectivity security solutions to enable optimal business access to solutions, both internal and Cloud based. The responsibility of the role covers the network security of LAN, WLAN and WAN technologies and solutions for Office/Warehouse, Retail and Datacenter connectivity. The role, as part of a Global team of engineers, will define and implement Global Standards & Policies in their area of responsibility, and ensure those policies are enforced globally. They will be involved in new site design, Office & site moves, and other projects as directed, and will guide service partners and vendors to ensure successful execution of projects. A main focus of the role is on automation and standardization of our connectivity environment. As an Operations Engineer, this role will be coached and mentored by the Senior Engineer and will likely be involved in less complex projects and solutions.
The incumbent will have a background in large scale, multi-country Cisco with Checkpoint based connectivity environments, with 3-4 years’ experience in multi-national organizations, designing and / or supporting complex regional and global networks. Experience in Retail and Logistics would be an advantage. The role will be expected to work closely with offshore and regional vendors to optimize solutions and support models, working closely to ensure appropriate service is delivered. The incumbent will be required to maintain a high level of technical expertise, supported by the business and vendor and supplier relationships. They will also be required to work in an outsourced operations environment and help to optimize these services through strong vendor partnerships.
The role has a wide-ranging regional focus, and so will be required to build value-adding relationships with in-country colleagues, as well as Regional, Global and Cross-functional colleagues. They will need to maintain an understanding of the business environment and future plans to ensure that technology, skills and resources are capable of managing new projects and solutions to support business growth. Maintaining an understanding of WAN acceleration (Riverbed), Load Balancing (F5), Network Security, SDWAN and associated technologies will also be part of the role.
Business Change Management
- Investigates operational needs and problems, and opportunities, contributing to the recommendation of improvements in automated and non-automated components of new or changed processes and organization.
- Assists in defining acceptance tests for these recommendations.
Testing, Installation & Integration
- Reviews requirements and specifications and defines test conditions.
- Designs test cases and test scripts under own direction, mapping back to pre-determined criteria, recording and reporting outcomes.
- Analyses and reports test activities and results. Identifies and reports issues and risks associated with own work.
- Configures firewalls and other network devices and tests platform-specific versions of one or more products.
- Reports the outcome of testing and identifies potential improvements to the process and to the software products according to agreed designs and standards.
Service Design, Transition & Operations
- Applies tools, techniques and processes to track, log and correct information related to CIs, ensuring protection of assets and components from unauthorized change, diversion and inappropriate use.
Release and Deployment
- Uses the tools and techniques for specific areas of release and deployment activities.
- Administers the recording of activities, logging of results and documents technical activity undertaken.
- May carry out early life support activities such as providing support advice to initial users.
- Identifies and resolves firewall related issues with applications or infrastructure components, following agreed procedures.
- Uses application management software and tools to collect agreed performance statistics.
- Carries out agreed application maintenance tasks
- Investigates problems in systems, processes and services.
- Assists with the implementation of agreed remedies and preventative measures.
- Following agreed procedures, identifies, registers and categorizes incidents
- Gathers information to enable incident resolution and promptly allocates incidents as appropriate.
- Maintains records and advises relevant persons of actions taken.
Individual key responsibilities:
- Maintain technology expertise in Checkpoint based firewall solutions for connectivity infrastructure in region, include but not limited to edge firewall controls incoming and outgoing traffic on networks with predetermined security rules, network segmentation, etc
- Maintain technology expertise in a Cisco-based LAN, WLAN, WAN, and Datacenter connectivity
- Building strong relationships with local, regional, in-country, global and cross-functional teams
- Working within a strong team of engineers to define and implement Global standards and policies
- Support the Senior Engineer to provide technical connectivity consultancy services
- Working closely with global security team and network operation team to maintain connectivity services in region and provide technical guidance when necessary
- Business Stakeholder / User
- Business Consultant / Analysts
- Platform & Software Engineers
- Solution Architects
- IT Infrastructure
- IT Security
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong (3-5 year’s) experience in CheckPoint / Cisco Network Security technologies, CCIE Security certification or equivalent experience, including detailed design of large corporate environments
- F5 LTM/ASM/APM experience and certification is an advantage
- Cloud based security experience is an advantage, i.e., Zscaler
- Proficient spoken and written command of English
- Ability to work in a largely outsourced environment
- Acquiring a proper understanding of a problem or situation by breaking it down systematically into its component parts and identifying the relationships between these parts, selecting the appropriate method/tool to resolve the problem and reflecting on the result
- Be able to understand and explain the needs of the internal or external stakeholders and keeping them in mind when taking actions or making decisions
- Applying quality standards to all tasks undertaken and ensuring that nothing is overlooked.
- Understanding the needs, objectives and constraints of those in other disciplines and functions.
- Working co-operatively (rather than competitively) with others to achieve a common goal.
Requisite Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications:
- Four-year college or university degree with focus on IT, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive work experience, at least 2 years in an IT operations role