Senior Software Development Engineer, Monetization Product and Engineering
Are you interested in building the next generation, cloud-based commerce system for AWS? AWS Commerce Platform (CP) allows customers to purchase AWS services. CP teams tackle some of the hardest scalability, performance, and distributed computing challenges in the world, processing trillions of events per month. We are looking for a talented senior software development engineer who has a passion to develop distributed systems at scale to help build the next generation of AWS internal services. As a foundational system we scale with the growth of cloud computing at Amazon. The Monetization Product and Engineering (MPE) team is responsible for transforming our manual operations via ideating and automating complex manual processes that process $20+ Billion worth of bills each year. These include but are not limited to enabling: monthly bill run process for highly specialized custom contracts, generating and delivering monthly customers billing statements, automating and maintaining bill audits via implementing an easy-to-use configurable audit framework.
Key job responsibilities
As a Senior Software Development Engineer on MPE team, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the definition, vision, design, roadmap and development of innovative software products which will help boost engineers productivity in Amazon, for improving services’ posture towards security, availability, efficiency, compliance and maintainability.
- Define system architecture, own and implement specific components and help shape the overall billing experience by bringing perspective and context of current technology choices and guide future technology choices.
- Lead projects that require work of multiple engineers.
- Define and drive software best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, agile development, build processes, and testing.
- Collaborate closely with product managers, program managers, architects and PE from within and cross-functional teams across Billing and CP orgs.
- You will take responsibility for technical problem solving and creatively meeting product objectives in ambiguous scenarios where customer problems are defined but technology strategy is not yet defined.
- Coach and mentor engineers on the team to foster a supportive culture of collaboration, scalability, and performance.
A day in the life
You thrive in a fast-paced start-up like environment and want to invent the future. Your expertise is deep and broad; you start with the customer and work backwards to develop a coherent vision for services that support the flexibility and scale that customers expect from us. You have built and operated systems that support high-end business complexity and scale with simple and elegant solutions. You have a passion for the potential of computing to improve people’s lives, and a proven track record of leading teams through complex technology delivery. And you are the technical expert that can take on architectural challenges to innovative solutions, while demonstrating leadership, technical competence, and craftsmanship.
About the team
We are a team of software engineers and data engineers responsible for transforming our manual operations via ideating and automating complex manual processes that process $20+ Billion worth of bills each year via software services that scale to the need and seamlessly integrate with exiting CP solution stack.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
New York, NY, USA
- 5+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- 5+ years of programming with at least one software programming language experience
- 5+ years of leading design or architecture (design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and existing systems experience
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead or leading an engineering team
- 5+ years of full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent
- Strong customer focus, ownership, sense of urgency, and drive. Success working across organizational boundaries, and bringing together people with diverse perspectives and experience to find solutions.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $134,500/year in our lowest geographic market up to $261,500/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.