Fullstack Engineer - General JD (all genders)
Babbel is the top-selling language learning platform globally. We are driven by our purpose of creating mutual understanding through language. Through the Babbel app, Babbel Live classes, Babbel podcasts, and Babbel for Business products, we provide learners with the most effective solutions, enabling them to communicate in real-life scenarios with real people.
The Babbel team is as diverse as our content. With headquarters in Berlin, Germany and our US office in New York, we're a team of 1,000+ people from over 80 different nationalities.
We are looking for a Fullstack Engineer to join our B2B team in Berlin
We are building the tools and services needed to further develop the role of data within B2B! You will contribute to the design of B2B specific data architecture. This evolving platform of services and tools integrates with Babbel’s existing event-driven microservice architecture with the capability to connect with new services and tools. This is all done to increase the availability of learning insights to B2B customers.
Of course, these services and tools should be easily extendable and reliable. This will all be done within a multidisciplinary team, encouraging sharing, growth and innovation.
- Design and iterate on our software architecture with a focus on the relationship between that and our evolving data platform
- Build third-party API integrations to enable our services to both ingest and share data as needed
- Contribute to the creation of a distributed system that transforms our organization and member related data into events for use in our data architecture and related products
- Begin to migrate embedded dashboard capabilities into the user interface to improve overall functionality and user experience
- Add the tools needed to enable our display of multiple embedded dashboards dependent on tagging or other parameters to meet the growing needs of customers for individualized insights
- Deliver value iteratively by building high-quality services and tools
- Collaborate cross-functionally on feature design, architectural decisions, and addressing technical debt
- Contribute to the overall health and monitoring of data services as the team takes greater ownership of all B2B event data
- Provide recommendations to improve our services and shape our culture of testing, learning, and innovation
- Participate in and potentially lead knowledge sharing sessions - we are a learning company inside and out
- Built, maintained, and evolved scalable, resilient backend services
- Contributed to backend services with your experience with Ruby or Ruby on Rails and/or TypeScript
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure and services (AWS, Azure, or GCP)
- Experience in API design and third-party API integrations
- Understanding of SQL and NoSQL databases (MySQL, AWS DynamoDB)
- Understanding of distributed systems and event-driven architecture
- Knowledge of analyzing metrics about system health and performance (for example aided by tools such as DataDog, CloudWatch, PagerDuty, Rollbar)
- Testing experience on different levels: unit, integration, etc.
- Strong interest in contributing to a product development as demonstrated by your positive approach to gathering requirements, building and iterating on features, and continuously reviewing and innovating
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Nice to have:
- Experience and/or interest in projects involving data collection and reporting
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-a-Code (Terraform or AWS CDK)
- Previous use of Python and SQL, especially in integration with ETL or orchestration services and related tooling
- Experience in cross functional/multidisciplinary teams, especially one with software and data engineers
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- Enjoy 30 vacation days and the chance to take a 3-month Sabbatical. Plus family and life situation counseling.
- Decide how, when and from where you want to work with our flexible working hours and remote friendly options as Jobbatical (up to 3 months inside the EU) or work from our fully equipped office with nap, faith and family rooms.
- Learn and grow with the internal learning opportunities, and use a yearly learning & development budget for external training. Learn languages with Babbel for free with your full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes.
- Take advantage of your mobility benefits options and a discounted Urban Sports Club membership.
- Be part of our employee communities (such as Femgineers, DE&I Ambassadors and LGBTQIA groups), attend cultural and regular social events.
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns in your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.