Senior Fullstack Engineer (all genders)
Babbel is the top-selling language learning platform globally. We are driven by our purpose of creating mutual understanding through language. Through the Babbel app, Babbel Live classes, Babbel podcasts, and Babbel for Business products, we provide learners with the most effective solutions, enabling them to communicate in real-life scenarios with real people.
The Babbel team is as diverse as our content. With headquarters in Berlin, Germany and our US office in New York, we're a team of 1,000+ people from over 80 different nationalities.
We are looking for Senior Fullstack Engineers to join our office in Berlin!
- Deliver value iteratively by building and maintaining high-quality apps, services, and tools
- Lead or contribute to architectural design decisions and constantly propose improvements to the overall architecture
- Help shape our coding guidelines and quality standards
- Collaborate cross-functionally on feature design, and technical decisions and assess technical debt.
- Focus on continuous learning and improvement and drive the evolution of our engineering practices
- Participate in and potentially lead knowledge-sharing sessions - we are a learning company inside and out
- 5+ years of experience building scalable systems and applications
- You're comfortable working with both front-end and back-end languages
- Strong skills in API design, data modeling, and applying design patterns to improve code
- Knowledge of serverless and event-driven architectures (e.g. AWS Lambda, AWS API Gateway, AWS Kinesis) and NoSQL databases (e.g. AWS DynamoDB)
- Experience in mentoring other engineers
- Collaborative mindset, with a can-do attitude for MVPs and short iteration cycles.
- Good understanding of lean and agile practices.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Nice to have:
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code (e.g., Terraform)
- Experience with event-driven, distributed architecture
- Knowledge of analyzing metrics about system health and performance (ideally DataDog, CloudWatch, PagerDuty, Rollbar)
- Experience in a big organization(s) and startup environment.
- Familiarity with AI/ML
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- Enjoy 30 vacation days and the chance to take a 3-month Sabbatical. Plus family and life situation counseling.
- Decide how, when and from where you want to work with our flexible working hours and remote friendly options as Jobbatical (up to 3 months inside the EU) or work from our fully equipped office with nap, faith and family rooms.
- Learn and grow with the internal learning opportunities, and use a yearly learning & development budget for external training. Learn languages with Babbel for free with your full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes.
- Take advantage of your mobility benefits options and a discounted Urban Sports Club membership.
- Be part of our employee communities (such as Femgineers, DE&I Ambassadors and LGBTQIA groups), attend cultural and regular social events.
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns in your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.