Senior Data Engineer - Data & Machine Learning Platform
The Senior Data Engineer is a technical leader who drives data engineering strategies and delivery across a team. You will lead solution envisaging, technical designs, and hands-on implementation. You need to influence, differentiate, and guide the business and technology strategies, as they relate to data, through constant multi-functional interaction. You ask the right questions to the right people in order to align data strategy with commercial strategy, demonstrating technical expertise and business knowledge.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Support the data requirements of new and existing solutions by developing scalable and extensible physical data models that can be operationalized within the company’s workflows and infrastructure
- Drive efficiency and resilience by mapping data flows between systems and workflows across the company
- Ensure standardisation by following design patterns in line with global and local data governance requirements
- Support real- time internal and customer- facing actions by developing real- time event- based streaming data pipelines
- Enable rapid data- driven business decisions by developing efficient and scalable data ingestion solutions
- Drive high- value data by connecting different disparate datasets from different systems into a well- led unified solution
- Own end- to- end data and data applications by defining, monitoring and adjusting relevant SLIs and SLOs
- Handle, mitigate and learn from incidents in a manner that improves the overall system health
- Ensure accuracy by developing criteria, automation, and processes for data production, transport, transform, and storage
- Ensure compliance with data- related requirements by building solutions in line with all applicable standards and regulations
- Ensure ongoing resilience of data processes by supervising system performance and acting proactively identifying bottlenecks, potential risks, and failure point that might degrade overall quality
- Build software applications by using the relevant development languages and applying in- depth knowledge of the systems, services and tools used by the specific business area
- Write readable and reusable code by applying standard patterns and using standard libraries
- Continuously evolve your craft by keeping up to date with the latest developments in data engineering and related technologies, introducing them to the community and promoting their application in areas where they can generate impact.
- Actively supply to Data Engineering at Booking.com through training, exploration of new technologies, interviewing, onboarding and mentoring colleagues.
- Push for improvements, scaling and extending data engineering tooling and infrastructure, collaborating with central teams.
- Thrive with change and get things done
- Demand a high standard of excellence in their craft
- Accept the opportunity to improve
- Understand success starts with accountability and ownership
- Care more about being successful and reaching goals together than individually
- Curious, experiments and continuously learns
- Low ego, open, friendly and remembers that diversity gives us strength
- You are required to live within a commutable distance from your assigned office location
Level of Education:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field
- Masters degree in Computer Science or related field
Years of relevant Job Knowledge:
- 6+ years of experience in a data engineering or related field using a server side programming languages, preferably Scala, Java, Python, or Perl
- 4+ years of experience building data pipelines and transformations at scale, with technologies such as Hadoop, Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, HBase, MySQL
- 2+ years of experience in data modeling
- 2+ years of experience handling data streaming
Requirements of special knowledge/skills:
- Intermediate knowledge of data modeling methods based on standard processes, e.g. TOGAF
- Intermediate knowledge of data governance requirements based on standard methodologies, e.g.DAMA, and tooling for continuous automated data governance activities
- Proven understanding of data quality requirements and implementation methodologies
- Excellent English interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
What We'll Provide:
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards are striven to make it easier for you to experience all that life has to offer on your terms, so you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- Medical, life, and disability insurance*
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, sick and care leave
- Industry leading product discounts for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and quarterly Booking.com wallet credit
- Free access to online learning platforms, mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership
- Collaborative, friendly and diverse culture
- Referral Program
- For this role will have a salary range of: $165,400 - $181,000
- Additional Annual or Quarterly bonus potential (role dependent)
- *Please note that while our philosophy is the same in every location, benefits may differ by office/country.
Should you require accommodation to meet the essential functions of this job, please let us know.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.