Technical Product Manager - CML Infrastructure
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place—the excitement of the following day. The friends one makes. The journeys one takes. The sights one sees. And the food one sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
We're a global e-commerce company with business operations in nearly every country and city. We want to make it easy for everyone, anywhere in the world, to pay for their travel or do business with our platform whenever and however convenient for them.
The opening is for the Central ML infrastructure team.
About the team:
Machine Learning, and AI in general, are integral to booking.com's goal of making it easier for everyone to experience the world. Central Machine Learning (CML) powers many of booking's flagship ML capabilities. The CML Infra team mission is to develop a shared serving, data and ML infrastructure to all CML platforms and to connect these with other platforms across the company.
What we do:
- Feature Engineering: Facilitating easy, reliable, and fast creation, storage, and retrieval of machine learning features for model training and serving.
- Vector Database for Deep Learning: Supporting embedded features for storage and retrieval.
- Ensure Quick Integrated Solutions: Evaluating solutions within Booking ecosystems and from third-party vendors, balancing quick delivery with long-term efficiency.
- Scaling for Millions: Building with the scale in mind as our models serve millions of users daily.
As a Technical Product Manager, you will lead the formation of the CML Infra team, crafting its vision, strategy, and roadmap to drive groundbreaking innovation across the group. This team is composed of senior engineers, machine learning experts, and data engineers who have deep understanding of the technologies across Central ML. These technologies include image processing, text analysis, deep learning, recommendations and ranking algorithms, and recently also LLM capabilities.
Your role involves sitting at the core of these CML groups, understanding their goals and challenges, providing crucial capabilities and tools by prioritizing impactful needs. Importantly, your role also includes collaboration with Booking ecosystem groups, such as Machine Learning Platform and Booking Data Exchange, that are critical for delivering long-term solutions and responsibilities of the CML Infra team.
This is an individual contributor role. You will be encouraged to drive strategy and stakeholder alignment. You will not be responsible for leading people / team backlogs.
Key Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Own and lead Central ML Infra product vision and execution end to end.
- Build and adapt the product strategy to the constantly evolving needs and constraints imposed by the business.
- Deeply understand the direction of the business and the problems customers and platform users face; extract and identify requirements from other business initiatives, customer requirements and prioritize them ruthlessly.
- Work closely with engineering, other product and program teams to define and ship products that solve problems.
- Constantly engage with stakeholders to expand the coverage of the platform and build impact.
- Define the KPI's for the product, and be the ultimate person responsible for its success
Role Qualifications and Requirements:
- Strong product insight (balancing customer & business needs)
- Previous experience working with Machine Learning Teams;
- Proven track record of stakeholder management and complex roadmap development
- Strong technical background and experience with managing platform products including defining platform KPI’s
- Strong strategic problem solver with the ability to zoom in as well as see a 10,000 ft view.
- Customer focused and passionate about solving user problems.
- Knowledge of Agile development methodologies;
- Experience with making data-driven decisions;
- Very good communication and ability to balance priorities in time critical situations.
Benefits & Perks: Global Impact, Personal Relevance
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards strive to make it easier for you to experience all that life has to offer on your terms so that you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic and cosmopolitan cities in Europe: Amsterdam.
- Contribute to a high scale, sophisticated, world-class product and see the real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Performance-based company that offers career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential.
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits.
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and the company's culture.
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world.
- Health, life, and disability insurance*
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, and care leave.
- Hybrid working including flexible working arrangements, and up to 20 days per year working from abroad (home country).
- Industry leading product discounts for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and quarterly Booking.com wallet credit.
- Free access to online learning platforms, development and mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership
- On-site meals, coffee, and snacks, including healthy and vegan options, daily*
#ThinkInclusion: Wellbeing & Inclusion at Booking.com:
Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging, Wellbeing and Volunteering (IDBWV) have been a core part of our company culture since day one. This ongoing journey starts with our very own employees, who represent over 140 nationalities and a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations.
Take it from our Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano: “At Booking.com, the diversity of our people doesn’t just create a unique workplace, it also creates a better and more inclusive travel
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.