Senior Software Engineer I, Accommodations-Enable Tech
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. We are responsible for accommodation growth, with clear ownership of all marketing, product and supply related to accommodations. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and most varied selection of properties.
We are looking for Senior Software Engineer I who are passionate about their craft, who grow with challenge and who believe in success through collaboration – people who would complement our existing developers! You will be part of our China Technology team in Shanghai.
Key Job Responsibilities & Duties
As a Senior Software Engineer, you are responsible for the development, performance, and scaling of our public website as well as internal systems. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems.
- Solving issues with the site and internal systems, prioritizing based on customer impact
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Testing; we run thousands of experiments running at one time. We built one of the most sophisticated A/B testing platforms in the industry.
- Most products are developed in Perl, but not all. Perl is very effective when it comes to rapid prototyping, which our product development teams do a lot of. It’s not necessary to know Perl before you start, but it helps. We are not just using the language, we influence the future of the language.
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts
Role Qualifications & Requirements
We are looking for driven Developers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right attitude and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- 7+ years software development experience; using 2 or more server side programming languages. Preferably Perl, Java, Python, Scala, C++ etc.
- Previous experience with distributed systems
- Hands on experience of developing in and contributing to open source data technologies, such as Hadoop
- Proven experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base is an advantage
- Preferably a university degree in Mathematics or Software Engineering
- Fluent Chinese and English in both written and reading.
Benefits & Perks
- Contributing to a high scale, sophisticated, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.