Principal Data Engineer - Analytics Platform
It wasn’t so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York’s iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone. In fact, that’s what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we’re busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more. Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission. We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet’s beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
Our department mission is to radically accelerate innovation across all data, analytics & Machine Learning teams by providing a self-service, end-to-end platform, enabling the creation of connected, and repeatable, machine learning and analytics solutions. In the team you would join - ‘Data Analytics Engineering’, we envision and set product direction for Data Analytics and investments powering the world’s largest online accommodation reservations website.
Your charter is to build Booking’s innovative Analytical Platform for a wide range of use cases including complex reporting pipelines and data warehousing. Our customers are the Data Scientists and Analyst community of Booking. The platform scales to millions of bookings a day, leveraging several petabytes of data to optimise the end-user experience. In short, you would play a critical role on the team building the Analytics experience that solves Booking’s hardest data consumption challenges. You would be supporting a team of Data Engineers, Software Engineers and Data Managers.
As a Principal Data Engineer you are a technical leader of multiple teams that comes up with strong technical vision and solutions while combining it with hands on work, going deep to investigate the most sophisticated scenarios. You help the team to set and achieve objectives based on communication with the Product counterpart while mentoring them and helping to achieve their professional goals. You are excited at the idea of building an ecosystem that can help dozens of teams at Booking.com to fully exploit our available data to unleash business insights and ML powered solutions. Your knowledge of Workflow Management, BI Tooling, Data Engineering and Analytics helps raise the quality of analytics & ML together within the Booking community. .
Key Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Technically lead an area in Analytics Platform department to build scalable Analytics solutions and adopt it across the company
- Help setting up tech strategy, quarterly and yearly tech objectives and estimate work
- Mentor and team members
- Improve team routines and processes for better performance based on the state of the team and the service. Make sure the team follows the best practices, learn and adopt
- Maintain tech documentation and support practices in the team on a high quality level
- Help the team to communicate externally and internally, resolve conflicts
- Aling on technical objectives across and beyond the team
- Own end-to-end data and data applications by defining, monitoring and adjusting relevant SLIs and SLOs
- Handle, mitigate and learn from incidents in a manner that improves the overall system health
- Continuously evolve your craft by keeping up to date with the latest developments in data engineering and related technologies
- Actively contribute to Data Engineering at Booking.com through training, exploration of new technologies, interviewing, onboarding and mentoring colleagues
- Push for improvements, scaling and extending data engineering tooling and infrastructure, collaborating with central teams
You are a role model of the Booking.com values:
- Thrive on change and gets things done
- Demand a high standard of excellence in their craft
- Embrace the opportunity to improve
- Understand success starts with accountability and ownership
- Care more about being successful and reaching goals together than individually
- Curious, experiments and continuously learns
- Humble, open, friendly and remember that diversity gives us strength
Role Qualifications and Requirements:
- 12+ years of software development experience, minimum 3 years in lead/architect role
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science or related field
- Significant experience in modern BigData stack (Workflow Management, BI Tooling, Data warehousing, Snowflake, Hadoop)
- Proficiency in performance optimizations of complex pipelines
- Ability to proactively manage multiple projects, a magnitude of stakeholders
- Experience building an Enterprise Data Warehouse from scratch
- Experience with AWS, K8S, Java, Terraform, Airflow
- Experience with DBT, SQL, Python
- Experience working with complex (column / field level) IAM services
- Experience with data modeling: Conceptual, Data Vault, Dimensional
- Knowledge of data governance requirements and tooling, e.g. based on DAMA
- Strong knowledge of data quality requirements and implementation methodologies
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
What we offer:
Benefits & Perks: Global Impact, Personal Relevance
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards strive to make it easier for you to experience all that life has to offer on your terms so that you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic and cosmopolitan cities in Europe: Amsterdam.
- Contribute to a high scale, sophisticated, world-class product and see the real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Full relocation support for you and your family to move to Amsterdam. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating over 300 Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential.
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits.
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture.
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world.
- Health, life, and disability insurance*
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, and care leave.
- Hybrid working including flexible working arrangements, and up to 20 days per year working from abroad (home country).
- Industry leading product discounts for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and quarterly Booking.com wallet credit.
- Free access to online learning platforms, development and mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership
- On-site meals, coffee, and snacks, including healthy and vegan options, daily*
#ThinkInclusion: Wellbeing & Inclusion at Booking.com:
Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging, Wellbeing and Volunteering (IDBWV) have been a core part of our company culture since day one. This ongoing journey starts with our very own employees, who represent over 140 nationalities and a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations.
Take it from our Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano: “At Booking.com, the diversity of our people doesn’t just create a unique workplace, it also creates a better and more inclusive travel experience for everyone. Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. It’s a place where you can make your mark and have a real impact in travel and tech.”
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustment to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.