Manager Data Engineering - Customer Data
Booking.com’s mission is to make it easier for everyone to experience the world. To achieve this mission we are opening up new career opportunities to help us shape the future of travel. We believe that our human desire to explore the planet's beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure.
The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
As a Manager Data Engineering, you are responsible for an engineering team and the technology that the team owns. You will not only work as a coach for your people but also as a technical leader, ensuring that the right technical decisions are made when building our product.
In Customer Data our mission is to create a competitive advantage by building a clear understanding of customers’ total travel behavior. One of the foundational tasks to deliver this is to enable our Accommodations Business Unit to build reliable, well-governed and modern data pipelines transporting traveler and partner data. You'll balance the needs of operating our on-premise infrastructure while simultaneously transitioning towards modernized, cloud-based pipelines using a data lake and warehouse using containerized compute and cloud-based storage. You're surrounded by a high density of data engineers and data managers, relative to most teams at Booking. Together, you'll work on projects with (backend) engineering teams eager to get your support in building consumer-focused pipelines.
Collectively, teams work towards building a source of truth in the company for Trips Data, both at a transactional and Customer level. Some of the main projects to deliver this involve connecting data from different products, bringing the connected trip to life in our databases, metrics and insights, creating a data warehouse, applying use cases of this data to the business such as cross selling opportunities and many more to come.
Key Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Lead by example by taking ownership, being proactive and collaborating
- Nurture, grow and develop engineering talent in the team
- Foster a great culture that innovates, work together as a team, partner with other Booking.com com teams and roles and celebrates unified success
Technology, Craft & Delivery
- Engineering delivery, quality and practices within own team including delivery management
- Get into the technical detail where required to coach, support and mentor the team
- Adhere to the default principles for Architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices across the department
- Drive a culture of ownership and technical excellence, including reactive work such as incident escalations and proactive work such as premortems
- Design efficient dataflows in complex systems
- Learn new technologies and stay ahead of existing technologies and be able to share learning’s and apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Have a deep knowledge of data engineering, architecture and integration.
- Establish opportunities for insight and observability in systems
- Actively contribute to Data Engineering at Booking.com through training, exploration of new technologies, interviewing, onboarding and mentoring colleagues
- Constructive partner to teams in the Central Technology department maintaining and building data platforms
Architecture & Product Strategy
- Thought partner for Product to define, shape and deliver the roadmap
- Build new products, processes and operational plans
- Negotiate on the strategic importance of own product roadmap features
- Drive innovation in own team
- Own the architecture across own team
Role Qualifications and Requirements:
- 3+ years of experience leading and managing a team of engineers in a fast-paced and complex environment
- Experience in a data organization, and understand the processes and technologies required in order to server near-real time data and insights at scale
- Experience with data at scale, using Kafka, Spark, Hadoop/YARN, MySQL (CDC), Oozie and/or Airflow, S3 and Kubernetes
- Bonus points for experience with Snowflake, DBT and development on and migrations to cloud platform AWS
- Proficient in Python and Scala or Java (bonus points for Perl)
- Passionate about lineage, data stewardship and data validation
- Strong technical skills (Coding & System design), you can get hands-on with your team if needed
- Strong people management skills and experience with the ability to deal with complex people issues
- Strong stakeholder management experience, strong business and technical vision
- Solution oriented and result driven, analytical skills and data-driven mindset
- Proven experience driving successful technical, business and people related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated experience influencing and cooperating with people at all levels
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field or 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty as equivalent
Benefits & Perks: Global Impact, Personal Relevance
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parental (22-weeks paid leave), grandparent, bereavement, and care leave
- Hybrid working including flexible working arrangements, working from home furniture and ergonomic support, and up to 20 days per year working from abroad (home country)
- A beautiful sustainable HQ Campus in Amsterdam, that offers on-site meals, coffee, and snacks, multi-faith and breastfeeding rooms at the office*
- Commuting allowance and bike reimbursement scheme
- Discounts & Wallet credits to spend on our products, upgrade to Booking.com Genius Level 3, and friends & family Booking.com discount vouchers
- Free access to online learning platforms, development and mentorship programs
- Global Employee Assistance Program, free Headspace membership
DEI: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Booking.com
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) have been a core part of our company culture since day one. This ongoing journey starts with our very own employees, who represent over 140 nationalities and a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations. Take it from our Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano: “At Booking.com, the diversity of our people doesn’t just create a unique workplace, it also creates a better and more inclusive travel experience for everyone.”
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the interview process. Please contact us to request adjustments.
Career Development Opportunities
- Bi-annual performance conversations, company-wide mentoring program, and internal development opportunities
- Unlimited access to online learning platforms: Udemy, Coursera, LinkedIn learning, O'reilly
- Please apply with your resume in English. The interview process for this role will entail: a coding challenge, a call with one of our Recruiter, a coding interview, a system design interview, and a final behavioural interview.
- Full relocation support will be offered for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.