Engineering Manager - Accommodations, Genius VIP
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business. We are responsible for driving accommodation growth, with clear ownership of all marketing, product, and supply related to accommodations. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and most diverse selection of properties all around the world. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travellers and the accommodation partners.
To help us accelerate on this journey, we are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our Shanghai team that sits at the heart of our accommodation business. We empower millions of travellers around the world to find their perfect accommodation match. As an Engineering Manager in this area, you will lead a team of highly skilled engineers to modernize and re-architect some of our key product components to unlock new business opportunities.
You will manage, coach, and develop an engineering team, ensuring the development of both (the individual and team as a whole) are in line with organisational objectives and direction. You should be a role model, technically strong to help your team develop and be able to be hands-on when needed. The Engineering Manager manages all activities of an engineering in scope through the direction of activities, to design new products and modify existing designs, ensuring that deliverables are on time and with acceptable quality. The role holder is required to analyse technology trends, human talent needs, and market demand to plan projects to ensure resilience in line with current demand and future ambition. In addition to this, the role will confer with leaders, production, key stakeholders and marketing teams to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, scalability, and time-to-market for new and existing products.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- People Leadership
- Inspire and motivate multiple cross functional product teams
- Directly manage a team of engineers
- Lead by example by taking ownership, being proactive, and collaborating
- Nurture, grow, and develop engineering talent in the team
- Foster a great culture that innovates, work together as a team, partner with other Booking.com com teams and roles, and celebrates unified success
- Respects the Booking.com values and uses them as a guide to the way we work
- Technology, Craft & Delivery
- Mastery in technology leadership including shaping ways of working
- Engineering delivery, quality, and practices within own team including delivery management
- Delivery of the wider Engineering strategic objectives
- Embed Agile ways of working and values within the organization
- Get into the technical detail where required to coach, support, and mentor the team
- Engineering Craftsmanship including coaching and mentoring the team
- Adhere to the default principles for Architecture, quality, and non-functional requirements
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices across the department
- Drive a culture of ownership and technical excellence, including reactive work such as incident escalations
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to share learning’s and apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Architecture & Product Strategy
- Thought partner for Product to define, shape, and deliver the roadmap
- Build new products, processes, and operational plans
- Negotiate on the strategic importance of own product roadmap features
- Drive innovation in own team
- Own the architecture across own team
Role Qualifications & Requirements
- 5+ years of experience in software development as a developer
- At least 2 years of experience leading and managing a team of engineers in a fast-paced and complex environment
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of developing and shipping software
- You have strong technical skills (coding & system design), you can get hands-on with your team if needed
- Experience with customer facing product applications.
- You are a humble and thoughtful technology leader, you lead by example and gain your teammates respect through your actions and not your title
- Strong people management skills and experience with the ability to deal with complex people issues
- Strong stakeholder management experience, strong business and technical vision
- Strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful
- Solution oriented and result driven, Analytical skills and data-driven mindset
- Ability to multi-task & flexible attitude
- Strong project management skills
- Experience in working on similar type of product(s) that impact customers at our scale
- You are an excellent communicator and you are able to influence and cooperate with people at all levels
- You have driven successful technical, business, and people related initiatives that improved productivity, performance, and quality
- You have a ‘can do’ attitude and you act proactively and not reactively
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field or 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty as equivalent
- Experience of working in a global environment is a plus
- Fluent oral and written English and Chinese
- This role may be required to work on an on-call rotation
Benefits & Perks
Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Shanghai.
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Working in a fast paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioral, and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
We value Diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.