Engineering Manager - Big Data
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, and lines of code. We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place, the excitement of the next morning, the friends you make, the journeys you take, the sights you see, and the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
About the team:
This is a fantastic opportunity for a strong hands-on Engineering Manager to work on a new cloud-native Data Lake solution enabling a central data storage platform for the entire company.
The team that you will manage is responsible for delivering BDX Provisioning services: access management automation, enablement of self-service capabilities for data producers and an API layer for triggering data migration to BDX. You will be in charge of giving numerous data producers and various upstream systems an API they need to kick-off an ingestion process to migrate their data from arbitrary on-prem data sources to the cloud-native LakeHouse platform
Key Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Directly manage engineers
- Lead by example by taking ownership, being proactive and collaborating
- Nurture, grow and develop engineering talent in the team
- Foster a great culture that innovates, work together as a team, partner with other Booking.com com teams and roles and celebrates unified success
- Respect the Booking.com values and use them as a guide to the way we work
Technology, Craft & Delivery
- Experience in designing and architecting APIs, dealing with high traffic
- Experience in large scale data processing and workflow management
- Mastery in technology leadership
- Engineering delivery, quality and practices within own team
- Delivery of the wider engineering strategic objectives
- Embed agile ways of working and company values within the team
- Ability to get into the technical detail (where required) to coach, support and mentor the team
- Adhere to the default principles for architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices across the department
- Drive a culture of ownership and technical excellence, including reactive work such as incident escalations
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies to be able to share learnings and apply these to a variety of projects when needed
Architecture & Product Strategy
- Define, shape and deliver the roadmap
- Build new products, processes and operational plans
- Negotiate on the strategic importance of own product roadmap features
- Drive innovation in the team
- Own the architecture across the team
Role Qualifications and Requirements:
- 6+ years of experience in software development preferably with Java or Scala
- At least 3 years of experience leading and managing a team of engineers in a fast-paced and complex environment
- Experience working with Kubernetes and Docker
- Experience working with public cloud providers such as AWS
- Experience with big data tools (eg Spark) and Kafka is a plus
- Experience working with Infrastructure as Code tools such as Terraform is a plus
- Ability to manage multiple teams is a plus
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of developing and shipping software
- Strong technical skills (Coding & System design) with ability to get hands-on with your team if needed
- Excellent communicator with strong stakeholder management experience, good commercial awareness and technical vision
- You have driven successful technical, business and people related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality
- You are a humble and thoughtful technology leader, you lead by example and gain your teammates’ respect through actions, not the title
- Analytical skills and data-driven mindset
What we offer:
Benefits & Perks: Global Impact, Personal Relevance
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards strive to make it easier for you to experience all that life has to offer on your terms so that you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic and cosmopolitan cities in Europe: Amsterdam.
- Contribute to a high scale, sophisticated, world-class product and see the real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Full relocation support for you and your family to move to Amsterdam. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating over 300 Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential.
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits.
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture.
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world.
- Health, life, and disability insurance*
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, and care leave.
- Hybrid working including flexible working arrangements, and up to 20 days per year working from abroad (home country).
- Industry leading product discounts for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and quarterly Booking.com wallet credit.
- Free access to online learning platforms, development and mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership
- On-site meals, coffee, and snacks, including healthy and vegan options, daily*
#ThinkInclusion: Wellbeing & Inclusion at Booking.com:
Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging, Wellbeing and Volunteering (IDBWV) have been a core part of our company culture since day one. This ongoing journey starts with our very own employees, who represent over 140 nationalities and a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations.
Take it from our Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano: “At Booking.com, the diversity of our people doesn’t just create a unique workplace, it also creates a better and more inclusive travel experience for everyone. Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. It’s a place where you can make your mark and have a real impact in travel and tech.”
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustment to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.