Data Analyst II - Cars (12 Months Project)
*This is a 12 month project*
This role is based in Manchester and does require a local home-base for successful hybrid working, and local collaboration with your team and internal customers.
Need more flexibility in your work week? We are happy to consider flexible hours, part-time, and reduced working week opportunities*
We began by taking hotel bookings online over 20 years ago and we've been shaping the travel industry ever since. Today, we're building a platform that connects all parts of the trip – from accommodation to transport, flights, tickets, tours and much more!
From our hubs in Manchester, London, Amsterdam our Trips Business Unit helps people get where they want to go, anywhere in the world. Whether customers want the freedom of a car, the convenience of a flight, the ease of a taxi, the economy of public transport; we make it all possible.
Our team is passionate about helping people travel. They see challenges as opportunities. And they’re always ready for change.
Booking.com is the world's largest car rental platform featuring car rental in more than 60,000 locations in 160 countries. Our product is available to our global customer base via desktop, mobile and app and under 2 consumer brands: Booking.com and Rentalcars.com. In addition to our consumer brands we also power the car rental business for our many affiliate partners including some of the world's leading airlines and online travel agencies.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated Data Analyst to join our Product Analytics team within Cars. Our Trips BU exists to give our customers the best, seamless experience across their whole trip whether they’re booking a flight, renting a car, hailing a taxi or visiting an attraction.
We are looking for a product analyst focused specifically in the Cars business, which offers car rentals across a variety of platforms and touch points. The role requires someone who can find business opportunities for growth from our data and uses data to influence and impact product development and roadmaps. A key area of focus will be working with product teams to ensure data is being leveraged to identify opportunities and risks and discover insights.
Consulting with business partners in problem-definition, setting success metrics and shaping the way forward through data insights. You will gain a deep understanding of business problems, embrace a customer lens, and tackle problems with timely analytics and translate analytics vision and strategy into execution. You will provide reliable, and actionable insights to partners using effective communication methods tailored for your audience.
In this role, you will be directly involved in enabling business improvements through your own insights/observations, you will own metrics and analytical/reporting improvements as well as being an influence on product and business goals. You’ll be part of an analytics team that supports analysis of all aspects of the cars business, you’ll help us understand their booking behaviours on multiple products & platforms ensuring the decisions we make about our customers are data driven and relentlessly improve the experience they have.
You’ll be working with Product Managers, Engineers, Analysts, data scientists, Designers, researchers and UX and more within the Cars area, as well as other key parts of the business to help us understand, interpret and solve some of the most interesting challenges at Booking.com.
The role requires you to provide timely decision support through performance monitoring, creating metrics and structuring data, planning and tracking the performance of the connected trip. The focus will be on delivering customer insights in many forms, whilst taking a systematic approach to creating useful data sets to enable advanced analysis as well as measuring success of initiatives, products and business changes.
Key Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Partnering with the Product team to generate and iterate hypotheses for Cars experiments which provide learnings and/or commercial benefit
- Building reporting suites to support our Cars proposition
- Working with engineers to log new data points to enhance insight into product performance
- Automating processes to efficiently manage reporting requirements, and ensure timeliness of information
- Linking together disparate data sources to drive insight
- Support team on ad hoc analytical requests
- Support trading investigations by building alerting on key metrics
- Work closely with the Customer Insights team to track customer behaviour.
- Collaborate with analytics leads across the other products we sell e.g. Rides, Flights, Attractions
- Perform exploratory analysis that interrogates, supports and challenges business assumptions
Role Qualifications and Requirements:
Requirements of special knowledge/skills
- Experience of A/B testing
- Able to weave a narrative when presenting data
- Strong experience of leveraging insights from disparate data sources.
- Demonstrates strong ownership, stakeholder management and prioritisation skills.
- Strong analytical skills with commercial acumen, with the ability to see opportunities & threats.
- Strong technical skills (Hadoop, R, SQL, Python, Excel)
- Power BI/Tableau
- Able to balance the need for accuracy and efficiency
- Able to distil & relay complex, technical information to a non-technical audience
- Experience of working in / for an ecommerce organisation
- Experience in web experimentation
- Cross-device analytical experience (Mobile / Desktop / Tablet / App)
- Solid understanding of statistical methods and data / web analysis software
- Google Analytics / Customer behaviour tooling
- Google Tag Manager
- Creating data workflows using Oozie or Argo
Benefits & Perks:
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards are aimed to make it easier for you to experience all that life has to offer—all the messy, beautiful, and joyful bits—on your terms. So you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- Health, life, and disability insurance*
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, and care leave
- Hybrid working including flexible working arrangements, and up to 20 days per year working from abroad (home country)
- Industry leading product discounts for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and quarterly Booking.com wallet credit
- Free access to online learning platforms, development and mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership
- On-site meals, coffee, and snacks, including healthy and vegan options, daily*
*Please note that while our philosophy is the same in every location, benefits may differ by office/country. More details on the benefits and perks offered by the company can be found here.
#ThinkInclusion: Wellbeing & Inclusion at Booking.com:
Directly linked to our mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging, Wellbeing and Volunteering (IDBWV) have been a core part of our company culture since day one. This ongoing journey starts with our very own employees, who represent over 140 nationalities and a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations.
Take it from our Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano: “At Booking.com, the diversity of our people doesn’t just create a unique workplace, it also creates a better and more inclusive travel experience for everyone. Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. It’s a place where you can make your mark and have a real impact in travel and tech.”
Our DBWV overview is here.
Learn more here about what to expect in our interview process: Your Journey
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.