Senior Software Engineer - Data & Machine Learning Platform
At Booking.com, we want to empower everyone to experience the world. Through our products, partners, and people is how we do it. There's a whole planet of possibilities out there, and we bring it all together, in one place. Booking.com (USA), Inc, one of the support companies in the United States, is seeking a full time Senior Software Engineer.
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. To do it more efficiently we are building a Data and Machine Learning Platform that enables Booking to deliver personal experiences. As a Senior Software Engineer - Data and Machine Learning Platform you will be a part of its development helping to support multiple areas of the business as they use Machine Learning to address some of the hardest problems that we face, from detecting fraud to recommending which properties you should check for your next stay.
In this role you will be a member of the Data Privacy Platform team that is at the heart of Booking's analytics ecosystem. The team's key responsibilities are to protect and secure customer data. You will drive the design and implementation of multiple privacy compliance controls, and work with multi-functional teams to integrate those controls in the Data and Machine Learning Platform. This is an outstanding opportunity for a top-tier software engineer with big data experience to get involved in the privacy aspects of data and ML. You will have the opportunity to interact with data scientists and engineers as customers and will be involved in development all the way through the data consumed and produced by data practitioners.
What you will be Doing:
- Combine hands on coding with working on impactful project(s) and supporting other team members,
- Address business problems, work multi-functionally and lead initiatives to improve our development process and business opportunities within Booking.com,
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on and always keep the customer at the center of everything you do,
- Give to the growth of Booking.com through recruitment efforts and proactively share your knowledge to help your colleagues grow,
- Represent Booking.com values, both within the company and in the external community,
- Advocate for a collaborative working environment – turn “my ideas” into “our ideas”
What We are Looking For:
- You have strong programming skills and experience with at least two server-side programming languages, Java or Scala specific knowledge is an advantage.
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer, you’ve worked with distributed systems and product(s) that impact millions of customers,
- You understand business well, can grasp and explain sophisticated concepts and make pragmatic decisions.
- You know how to keep a critical system up and running, understand reliability, can address effectively, and are comfortable performing incident management,
- You have experience working on low latency services, and can guarantee performance even when traffic scales to hundreds of thousands of requests per second; You can profile production applications to identify performance bottlenecks,
- Shown experience in owning and leading technical projects.
- Experience running Machine Learning systems in production is a significant plus; knowledge on how to generate predictions for ML frameworks with high efficiency and low latency is an advantage.
- Practical experience with distributed systems and frameworks, particularly Spark, Kafka, Kubernetes, and Snowflake is a plus
- Experience with Cloud providers, preferably AWS
- Hands-on experience with batch and streaming data processing
- Good to have experience with infrastructure-as-a-code technologies such as Terraform, Ansible
- You are humble and a leader with vision, you lead by example and gain your teammates respect through your actions and not your title.
- You are an excellent communicator and you are able to influence and cooperate with people at all levels.
- You have driven successful technical and business related initiatives that improved efficiency, performance and quality.
- You have a ‘can do’ demeanour and you act proactively and not reactively.
- It would be excellent if you have prior experience with mentoring, coaching and training team members
- You are required to live within a commutable distance from your assigned location
What We'll Provide:
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards are striven to make it easier for you to experience all that life has to offer on your terms, so you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- Medical, life, and disability insurance*
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, sick and care leave
- Industry leading product discounts for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and quarterly Booking.com wallet credit
- Free access to online learning platforms, mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership
- Collaborative, friendly and diverse culture
- Referral Program
- This role may come with US relocation assistance
- This role may offer visa assistance
- Salary Range for this role is: $204,600 - $228,000 annually
- Additional Annual or Quarterly bonus potential (role dependent)
- *Please note that while our philosophy is the same in every location, benefits may differ by office/country.
Should you require accommodation to meet the essential functions of this job, please let us know.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.