Software Engineer - Data & Machine Learning Platform
At Booking.com, we want to empower everyone to experience the world. Through our products, partners, and people is how we do it. There's a whole planet of possibilities out there, and we bring it all together, in one place. Booking.com (USA), Inc, one of the support companies in the United States, is seeking a full time Software Engineering role.
Our department mission is to radically accelerate innovation across all data, analytics & Machine Learning teams by providing a self-service, end-to-end platform, enabling the creation of connected, and repeatable, machine learning and analytics solutions. In the team you would join, we envision and set product direction for Data Analytics and investments powering the world’s largest online accommodation reservations website.
Your charter is to build Booking’s innovative Analytical Platform for a wide range of use cases including sophisticated reporting, ML pipelines and data warehousing. Our customers are the Data Scientists, ML and Data Engineers, and Analyst community of Booking. The platform scales to millions of bookings a day, demonstrating several petabytes of data to optimise the end-user experience. In short, you would play a meaningful role on the team building the Analytics experience that solves Booking’s hardest data consumption challenges.
You will join the Workflow Management Developer Experience team in Big Data scope to support Migration from Hadoop / Oozie (Spark, Perl, etc) legacy setup to a modern platform (AWS / S3 / Snowflake / Airflow). The Workflow Management Developer Experience (WFME) team is an addition to the existing Workflow Management (WFM) to support the customer with new functionality and processes built on top of the platform. Existing team is building the platform capability, while the WFME team will be responsible for supporting customers with migration from the legacy scope, building processes, new operators and integrations required to make WFM service truly customer centric.
What you will be Doing:
We’re looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join the Workflow Management Developer Experience team. The candidate should be able to quickly build an e2e view of the legacy and modern tech stacks.
To support the migration we need to analyze the existing workflows and build tools for their migration. This involved reading code to understand nuances and translate them into technical requirements and implementations for the new platform, with a strong focus on Migration Tooling and building operators. The scope is huge, around 4000 workflows. The ideal candidate should have some good examples where they would address a similar problem in the past and enjoy using the “Divide and Conquer” principle while doing this kind of work. They should be able to articulate their thinking to a wide range of partners such as Product, Engineering management, team members and users.
- Own end-to-end data and data applications by defining, monitoring and adjusting relevant SLIs and SLOs
- Handle, mitigate and learn from incidents in a manner that improves the overall system health
- Continuously evolve your craft by keeping up to date with the latest developments in data engineering and related technologies, introducing them to the community and promoting their application in areas where they can generate impact
- Push for improvements, scaling and extending data engineering tooling and infrastructure, collaborating with central teams
You are a role model of the Booking.com values:
- Thrive on change and gets things done
- Demand a high standard of excellence in their craft
- Embrace the opportunity to improve
- Understand success starts with accountability and ownership
- Care more about being successful and reaching goals together than individually
- Curious, experiments and continuously learns
- Humble, open, friendly and remember that diversity gives us strength
Technology, Craft & Delivery
- Develop vital operators and integrations
- Drive requirements for the migration tooling
- Analysing oozie jobs, finding in scheduling and compute usage
- Proactively contribute to the migration strategy
- Implement user friendly Tooling to support oozie migration to Airflow taking into account the nuances of the legacy structures and the modern tech stack
- Train and support users with the migration stack:
- DBT or SQL
- git CI / CD
What You Will Bring:
- 6+ years of experience in Software Engineering, preferably around Infrastructure
- SRE experience is a plus
- Working in Developer Experience team is a plus
- Experience working with Kubernetes
- Experience deploying data processing solutions on cloud providers is a plus
- Experience with big data tools (eg Spark) and ML frameworks (eg TensorFlow) commonly used for ML is a plus
- Experience working with workflow management tools such as Apache Airflow is a plus
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of developing and shipping software
- Strong technical skills (Coding & System design) with ability to get hands-on with your team if needed
- You are required to live within a commutable distance from your assigned office location
What We Will Provide:
- Medical, life, and disability insurance*
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, sick and care leave
- Industry leading product discounts for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and quarterly Booking.com wallet credit
- Free access to online learning platforms, mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership
- Collaborative, friendly and diverse culture
- Referral Program
- For this role will have a salary range of: $183,100 - $201,000
- Additional Annual or Quarterly bonus potential (role dependent)
- *Please note that while our philosophy is the same in every location, benefits may differ by office/country.
Should you require accommodation to meet the essential functions of this job, please let us know.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.