R&D Data Engineer
We are Covestro. We are curious. We are courageous. We are colorful. We refine chemical material solutions with game-changing products. Let us empower you to push boundaries. Join us and our 18,000 colleagues now and together we will make the world a brighter place.
WHAT WE OFFER
The Digital R&D Organization (DRD) is responsible for innovative digital solutions for chemical product and application development at Covestro. Experts in material simulations and computational chemistry, laboratory automation, R&D data science, high-performance computing, and quantum computing are among those who work in DRD. To meet the increasing need for data for digitization projects in research and development (R&D), DRD is now assembling an additional team – the Data Office, with a deep understanding of R&D processes and the data generated there. A key role in this group will be a Data Engineer located in the US.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities
- Responsible for data integration, data management solutions, and data quality, particularly in the areas of research & development, product quality management, and sustainability.
- Analyze business/project requirements and identify relevant data and tools for data provisioning.
- Be hands-on defining standards, designing data models, developing and supporting ingestion pipelines from data sources such as LIMS, Electronic Lab Notebook systems, PI Server, etc.
- Create descriptions of data products in the data catalog.
- Be part of the team that centrally administers R&D master data.
- Support the development of information security concepts for new applications, especially for access management.
- Identify and sustainably resolve data quality issues.
- Take part in the establishment and leadership of the "R&D Data Community.”
- Closely collaborate with colleagues from R&D, product management, and application development, accompanying and guiding them as they adopt new standards for data quality.
- Regularly review data strategy and KPIs.
WHAT YOU OFFER
- Bachelor’s degree with 4 years of experience, or Master’s degree with 2 years of experience in the fields of computer science, chemistry, natural sciences, technology (STEM), or comparable
- Experience with data warehouse technologies, including ETL tools, SQL databases, design of ER diagrams, and data modeling techniques
- Practical experience in data warehouse management based on an RDBMS (PostgreSQL, MariaDB, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL)
- Knowledge in the implementation of ETL pipelines in Java (preferably Spring)
- Knowledge of Data Lake architectures (Python, Spark)
- Understanding of data governance principles, policies, and best practices
- Knowledge in data quality assessment and data lineage tracking
- Experience with metadata management and data catalog tools
- IT affinity and expertise in handling various tools for master data maintenance and management
- Practical experience with containerization
- General knowledge of AWS Cloud Services such as VPC, EC2, S3, CloudFormation, Fargate, etc.
- Understanding of the basics of polymer chemistry to grasp and address the specific data-related requirements in this domain
- Understanding of R&D processes, for example through experience in a development environment or within a testing department
Knowledge and Skills
- Practical background and experience in software programming with Java and Python
- Prioritizing needs and delivering measurable results. A self-starting systemic thinker who welcomes responsibility, thrives in an evolving organization, and is able to bring structure to unstructured situations.
- Strong communication (English) and collaboration skills with a track record of dealing well with ambiguity
Are you as curious, courageous and colorful as we are? If so, we can offer you an exciting career opportunity. We look forward to receiving your application and resume. Become part of our team - apply now!Equal Employment Opportunity: Hiring and advancement are based on job-related requirements and on an individual's qualifications to perform a job. All aspects of employment are carried out free of discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disabilities, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression or any unlawful criterion, existing under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Contact UsInfo-Hotline: +1 844-522-6775If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this site as a result of your disability. To make a request, please call (412) 413-2736.