Python Back-End Developer
A career in IBM Software means you’ll be part of a team that transforms our customers challenges into solutions.
Seeking new possibilities and always staying curious, we are a team dedicated to creating the world’s leading AI-powered, cloud-native software solutions for our customers. Our renowned legacy creates endless global opportunities for our IBMers, so the door is always open for those who want to grow their career.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Watson Orders is looking for a Python Back-end Engineer to support the development of an edge artificial intelligence (AI) product. This engineering role presents the opportunity to work at the intersection of audio hardware, deep learning, and edge infrastructure while collaborating with a dynamic team and helping enable one of the largest deployments of brick-and-mortar AI technology.
The core responsibility of this role is to support the development of efficient, modular, reliable and scalable AI Voice Agent that is deployed at the quick service restaurants. The back-end work focuses on core logic of the AI product, microservices, distributed processing, telemetry, and scalability of a product and platform that will reach 10s of millions of customers per day.
- Develop and maintain core Voice Agent application services and frameworks.
- Support the addition of new languages to the Voice Agent.
- Own core AI applications and related tooling, focusing on the system’s integration, configuration, lifecycle and event management.
- Enable modular, testable and scalable deployment through continuous, incremental refactoring of core applications.
- Keep and push for the high bar of development best practices: test coverage, design patterns, documentation and self-documenting code.
- Address core design and stability issues across the stack and platform.
- Educate engineering teams on standard methodologies, and where possible, automate enforcement and migrate existing code to ensure compliance.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 5+ years of experience in Linux environments with good understanding of Linux processes.
- 5+ years of professional experience developing back-end/server technologies in Python.
- Strong experience in high performance, server and service programming, e.g. distributed, multi-threaded programming writing network clients and coordinating high throughput inter-process communication.
- Quick learner.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience in containers- and Kubernetes-based development.
- Experience in shell scripting and cross-language system development.
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field, or equivalent experience.