Cloud Solutions Architect
As an IBM Application Architect, you directly help clients transform their business and solve complex problems. You will define the scope and vision for projects that deliver customized solutions using your knowledge of IBM platforms. You are a technical leader, serving as a liaison among business partners, technical resources, and project stakeholders.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Octo, an IBM company, is an industry-leading, award-winning provider of technical solutions for the federal government. At Octo, we specialize in providing agile software engineering, user experience design, cloud services, and digital strategy services that address government’s most pressing missions. Octo delivers intelligent solutions and rapid results, yielding lower costs and measurable outcomes.
Our team is what makes Octo great. At Octo you’ll work beside some of the smartest and most accomplished staff you’ll find in your career. Octo offers fantastic benefits and an amazing workplace culture where you will feel valued while you perform mission critical work for our government. Voted one of the region’s best places to work multiple times, Octo is an employer of choice!
As a Cloud Solutions Architect at Octo, you will support architecture strategies and services in support of a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) hybrid data lakehouse environment. This role will be responsible for providing solution architecture and configuration details required to setup and operationalize data platforms to meet batch and real-time application requirements on Azure. This includes conducting proofs of concept, providing infrastructure/tech stack, configuration, security across various use cases and access requirements. This role will design and implement cloud-native architectures that will meet business requirements with a minimal degree of risk to the organization.
We were founded as a fresh alternative in the Government Consulting Community and are dedicated to the belief that results are a product of analytical thinking, agile design principles and that solutions are built in collaboration with, not for, our customers. This mantra drives us to succeed and act as true partners in advancing our client’s missions.
The Digital Transformation Center (DTC) supports Veterans Affairs (VA) with onboarding and maintaining enterprise SaaS and PaaS solutions used to support the mission of serving our Veterans and their associated stakeholders. We are digitizing information and processes for improved implementation, leveraging modern tools and low code/no code for reusability and faster delivery. As part of this effort, Health Data Analytics Platform (HDAP) is an analytical platform hosted by Veterans Affairs to help manage and interpret patient data and personal health information, which will ultimately help improve patient access and patient outcomes.
- Work with customers and team to recommend appropriate technology solutions to solve business objectives, leveraging existing technologies when possible.
- Identify, recommend, coordinate, and deliver timely knowledge to support teams regarding technologies, processes or tools.
- Provide architectural guidance to support Agile/DevOps software development solutions, modern architectures, system integrations, and cloud migration projects.
- Apply deployment orchestration, automation, and security configuration management.
- Develop project scoping, gather requirements, and design solutions.
- Develop conceptual and logical architecture solutions & associated diagrams & documentation.
- Determine cloud cost modeling & forecasting solutions.
- Perform threat modeling and design reviews to assess security implications and requirements for introduction of new technologies.
- Provide leadership and effectively communicates with all levels of management in areas related to solution architecture and future technical strategy
Years of experience: Minimum of 8 years of experience of Azure Cloud architecture and management experience required, including at least 3+ years in a solution architecture role using service and hosting solutions such as private/public cloud IaaS, PaaS and SaaS platforms.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electronics engineering or other engineering or technical discipline OR 8 years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education. Master’s preferred.
Location: Remote within the United States.
Clearance: Ability to obtain a Public Trust security clearance.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Must have experience in architecting and designing technical solutions for Microsoft-centric solutions based on industry standards using Azure IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS capabilities.
- Must have experience with relational, graph and/or unstructured data technologies such as SQL Server, Azure SQL, Azure Data Lake, HD Insights, Cosmos DB, Data Bricks, Apache tools, Trifacta.
- Demonstrated experience with assessment, development, implementation, optimization, and documentation of a comprehensive and broad set of security technologies such as secure software development, application security, data protection, cryptography, key management, and identity access management.
- Experience with enterprise applications (architecture, development, support, and troubleshooting).
- Experience providing technical and data leadership to application development groups, IT and business users.
- Hands-On experience in any of the following: O365, D365, Azure data analytics services (including Azure Synapse and Azure Databricks), PowerBI, and Power Platform applications.
- Hands on experience with data ingestion and wrangling technologies such as Azure Data Factory, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), and Trifacta.
- Experience in engaging, educating, and guiding business users in adopting platform tools, frameworks, and technologies.
- Experience in using various data modeling techniques and their appropriate usage in data integration.
- Excellent communication skills including verbal and written skills.
- Excellent collaboration and partnership with business stakeholders, analysts, and modelers in promoting big data platform capabilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to lead and work collaboratively in dynamic team environment.
- Proven track record in demanding, customer service-oriented environment.
- Ability to communicate clearly with all levels within an organization.
- Excellent analytical skills, organizational abilities, and problem-solving skills.
- Track record of staying abreast of new and developing technologies.
- Clearance: Ability to obtain a Public Trust security clearance.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience supporting the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Experience with government contracting firms supporting the Federal government