Senior GoLang Backend Engineer- TWC- Brookhaven
This position is in the IBM The Weather Company business (TWC) or a shared services function supporting TWC. On August 22 2023, a definitive agreement was signed, under which Francisco Partners, a leading global investment firm that specializes in partnering with technology businesses, will acquire The Weather Company assets from IBM. It is currently expected that as of February 1, 2024, this position will be in a new company that is separate from IBM. Through increased investment and resources from Francisco Partners, The Weather Company will look to move beyond forecasting alone and bring new tools and experiences to users to help them understand how weather impacts all aspects of their lives, starting with health and well-being. For businesses, The Weather Company plans to offer more actionable insights so organizations can provide greater value to their customers. With its advertising platform, The Weather Company will continue to provide quality real-time experiences for the ad and subscription media industry, while complying with all consumer privacy laws and regulations. Don’t miss your opportunity to influence the future of our company!
Your Role and Responsibilities
We are looking for a Senior GoLang Backend Engineer to join our team. This team is responsible for writing software to deliver weather data and insights to customers via REST APIs at a massive scale. Understanding data cache, and performance optimization will be key to success in this role. As a Software engineer on this team, you will write code, and be responsible for deploying it to our production environment which consists of docker containers running in Elastic Kubernetes Service on AWS. You will have a strong understanding of Kubernetes concepts, especially around scaling and networking. You will be an expert in GoLang, with demonstrated experience writing highly scalable, efficient applications deployed at scale.
- Write clean and maintainable GoLang code and tests, demonstrating strong problem-solving and optimization skills
- Design systems that are highly scalable and highly available
- Work in an Agile Scrum environment and with other developers and stakeholders to ensure high-quality and timely delivery of software
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience writing REST APIs
- Ability to understand existing Scala projects and rewrite them in GoLang
- Experience writing and deploying software in containerized infrastructure with an emphasis on security: Docker, afk Kubernetes, and Helm
- Work in AWS / EKS using CI/CD pipelines, such as Travis-CI, Jenkins, ArgoCD
- Deep understanding of database concepts, performance, and optimization, ideally for MongoDB, Postgres, and Redis
- Ability to write code to work with Messaging systems, particularly Kafka
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Proficiency with Cassandra, CockroachDB, and other Database technologies
- Proficiency with RabbitMQ, SQS, and other Messaging technologies
- Understanding of Apache Kafka, its core concepts and benefits.