As a Test Specialist at IBM, your analytical and technical skills will directly impact the quality of the software we create. Come work in an agile environment where you will help each iteration reach the next level. Whether the testing is manual, automated, or cognitive, you hold a key role in releasing the best deliverables to IBM’ers and our clients.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Octo, an IBM company, is an industry-leading, award-winning provider of technical solutions for the federal government. At Octo, we specialize in providing agile software engineering, user experience design, cloud services, and digital strategy services that address government’s most pressing missions. Octo delivers intelligent solutions and rapid results, yielding lower costs and measurable outcomes.
Our team is what makes Octo great. At Octo you’ll work beside some of the smartest and most accomplished staff you’ll find in your career. Octo offers fantastic benefits and an amazing workplace culture where you will feel valued while you perform mission critical work for our government. Voted one of the region’s best places to work multiple times, Octo is an employer of choice!
As a Quality Assurance Engineer at Octo, you will work in an Agile environment to deliver high quality functional and section 508 testing services as part of a scrum team creating and maintaining mission-critical applications. You work side by side with developers, product managers, designers, and customers, making decisions together to quickly deliver valuable working software to clients and their users. You have a passion for high-quality, reliable, and maintainable code. You are agile and retrospective, and love to find ways to break the code in the Test environment to maintain a bug free Production environment.
We were founded as a fresh alternative in the Government Consulting Community and are dedicated to the belief that results are a product of analytical thinking, agile design principles and that solutions are built in collaboration with, not for, our customers. This mantra drives us to succeed and act as true partners in advancing our client’s missions.
The program you will be supporting has a mission to provide development, security, and operations (DevSecOps) support to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) with a focus on development, operations, and modernization of complex, large-scale identity management systems for public-facing websites and IT systems in the cloud. The team utilizes open-source technologies, agile project management practices, and modern DevSecOps delivery to support enterprise systems critical to the services provided by USCIS to members of the public.
Years of Experience: 3+ years of experience
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Clearance: U.S. Citizenship required, ability to receive a DHS EOD
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience in Federal Government software testing.
- Experience with both backend and frontend testing.
- Ability to design and implement test approaches for new or existing applications.
- Clear and concise communication, providing recommendations for software application improvements.
- Active participation in Agile ceremonies, including stand-ups, grooming, Sprint planning, retrospectives, and demos.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of activities.
- Capture requirements for test procedures and test applications.
- Coordinate with the technical team on test data creation and management.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand application features and functionalities.
- Design, develop, and maintain performance tests, browser emulation integration tests, and direct web services tests.
- Partner closely with development to characterize and improve application functionality.
- Log defects in the application through JIRA during test cycles and verify fixes.
- Participate in an Agile software development process.
- Track and manage defects and bugs, working with developers to fully resolve them.
- Generate test summary reports for management review and deployment packages.
- Suggest new tools and techniques to improve testing efficiency.
- Clearance: U.S. Citizenship required, ability to receive a DHS EOD
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience with both back-end and front-end testing.
- Experience in Unit Testing, Integration Testing, and in preparing test cases.
- Strong relational database skills.
- Experience as part of an Agile development team (Scrum/Kanban)