At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Octo, an IBM company, is an industry-leading, award-winning provider of technical solutions for the federal government. At Octo, we specialize in providing agile software engineering, user experience design, cloud services, and digital strategy services that address government’s most pressing missions. Octo delivers intelligent solutions and rapid results, yielding lower costs and measurable outcomes.
Our team is what makes Octo great. At Octo you’ll work beside some of the smartest and most accomplished staff you’ll find in your career. Octo offers fantastic benefits and an amazing workplace culture where you will feel valued while you perform mission critical work for our government. Voted one of the region’s best places to work multiple times, Octo is an employer of choice!
As a Data Engineer, you will work closely with architects, engineers, and integrators to assess customer requirements and to design and support our team to unlock insights from the massive amounts of data within the Veterans Affairs ecosystem. You will be tasked with overall onboarding, operationalizing, administration, and maintenance of key big data/data science/machine learning platforms like Databricks and other cutting-edge technologies.
Previous experience with Veterans Affairs and/or health/clinical data is a major plus.
We were founded as a fresh alternative in the Government Consulting Community and are dedicated to the belief that results are a product of analytical thinking, agile design principles and that solutions are built in collaboration with, not for, our customers. This mantra drives us to succeed and act as true partners in advancing our client’s missions.
This program supports Veterans Affairs’ strategic mission of furthering efforts to modernize its data analytics platform and enhance accessibility to enterprise data and reporting tools.
- Serves as a technical consultant to implement Analytics solutions and produce Data Domain ETL Scripts.
- Uses PowerBI/dashboards to support problem identification and resolution.
- Develops and maintains documentation on various operational and design aspects of the Platform. Assist in troubleshooting issues and resolving them.
- Builds awareness, increases knowledge and drives adoption of modern technologies, sharing user and engineering benefits to gain buy-in.
- Effectively communicates with and influences key stakeholders across the enterprise, at all levels of the organization.
- Operates as a trusted advisor for technology, platform, or capability domain, helping to shape use cases and implementation in a unified manner.
Years of Experience: Must have at least 5 years of experience with Microsoft database and BI technologies, including at least 2-3 years of experience with Azure Data Lake Storage, Azure Data Factory, Azure SQL DW, Azure Synapse, Databricks, Spark, and/or Python
Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related area OR 8 years of additional experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
Location: Remote within the United States.
Clearance: Ability to obtain a Public Trust security clearance.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- See below for experience and educational requirements.
- Experience defining and implementing strategies for extracting, transforming, and loading data from multiple data sources into analytic data stores.
- Knowledge of Cloud Data Analytics platforms
- Experience programming in PowerShell, Python, SQL.
- Experience with cloud data storage formats such as Parquet, Avro.
- Experience with data transformation techniques.
- Ability to test data integrity and develop tests and quality checks.
- Experience preparing data for various types of data analysis: descriptive, diagnostic, predictive, prescriptive.
- Performance analysis and tuning experience
- Experience with Data Warehouse or Big Data solutions
- Experience with ML models
- Experience with data modeling and database design
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills working in a team-oriented environment
- Clearance: Ability to obtain a Public Trust security clearance.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience supporting Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and/or other federal organizations.
- Advanced SQL, NoSQL query, and scripting. Experience with Python, Java.
- Experience with Azure Data Lake Storage, Azure Data Factory, Azure SQL DW, Azure Synapse, Databricks, Spark, and/or Python
- Experience with relational database systems (i.e., DB2, SQL Server) and non-relational databases such as (Azure SQL, Amazon RDBS, MongoDB, Hadoop tools).
- Understanding of data design concepts (i.e., data modeling, data mapping, OLTP, and OLAP).
- Experience modeling data, message, and service interoperability.
- Azure PowerShell knowledge