As an Application Developer, you will lead IBM into the future by translating system requirements into the design and development of customized systems in an agile environment. The success of IBM is in your hands as you transform vital business needs into code and drive innovation. Your work will power IBM and its clients globally, collaborating and integrating code into enterprise systems. You will have access to the latest education, tools and technology, and a limitless career path with the world’s technology leader. Come to IBM and make a global impact!
Your Role and Responsibilities
Octo, an IBM company, is an industry-leading, award-winning provider of technical solutions for the federal government. At Octo, we specialize in providing agile software engineering, user experience design, cloud services, and digital strategy services that address government’s most pressing missions. Octo delivers intelligent solutions and rapid results, yielding lower costs and measurable outcomes.
Our team is what makes Octo great. At Octo you’ll work beside some of the smartest and most accomplished staff you’ll find in your career. Octo offers fantastic benefits and an amazing workplace culture where you will feel valued while you perform mission critical work for our government. Voted one of the region’s best places to work multiple times, Octo is an employer of choice!
We were founded as a fresh alternative in the Government Consulting Community and are dedicated to the belief that results are a product of analytical thinking, agile design principles and that solutions are built in collaboration with, not for, our customers. This mantra drives us to succeed and act as true partners in advancing our client’s missions.
The program you will be supporting has a mission to provide development, security, and operations (DevSecOps) support to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) with a focus on development, operations, and modernization of complex, large-scale IT systems in the cloud. The team utilizes open-source technologies, Agile project management practices, and modern DevSecOps delivery to support enterprise systems critical to the services provided by USCIS to members of the public.
Years of Experience: 5+
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
Location: Remote; must be available to work on an Eastern time zone schedule.
Clearance: U.S. Citizenship required, ability to receive a Public Trust – DHS USCIS EOD
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Proficient in building Ruby on Rails or Python applications and experience developing APIs and microservices.
- Experience in developing code, testing, and debugging new software or enhancements to existing software.
- Troubleshoot production problems related to existing software applications.
- May analyze and design databases within an application area, working individually or coordinating database development as part of a team.
- Possess and apply expertise to multiple complex work assignments which are broad in nature, requiring originality and innovation in determining how to accomplish tasks.
- Ability to apply a comprehensive knowledge across key tasks and high impact assignments.
- Research, design, develop, test, build, and coordinate the conversion and/or integration of software products based on client requirements.
- Consult with project teams and end users to identify application requirements.
- Address problems of systems integration, compatibility, and multiple platforms.
- Perform feasibility analysis on potential future application projects to inform leadership decisions.
- Assist in the evaluation and recommendation of application software packages, application integration and testing tools.
- Resolve problems with software and respond to suggestions for improvements and enhancements.
- Evaluate performance results and recommend major changes affecting short-term project growth and success.
- Participate in development of software user manuals and technical reports.
- Clearance: U.S. Citizenship required, ability to receive a Public Trust – DHS USCIS EOD
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Previous experience with AWS technologies.
- An interest in or experience with CI/CD and DevSecOps approaches.