WebSphere Liberty InstantOn Software Developer
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Are you naturally curious and love to tinker? Do you like fixing complex problems? Do you enjoy the challenge of figuring out a solution with the least number of parts? Do you like to optimize and improve programming algorithms? Do you like to work in a collaborative and diverse engineering team? Are you excited by customer engagement and success? If you answered “yes” to these questions, join the WebSphere organization to work on Open Liberty InstantOn. Here, you will join a team of highly talented, collaborative, and diverse people who are responsible for the design, development, testing, and successful adoption of the Liberty InstantOn features of WebSphere Liberty. IBM WebSphere is a market leader, leading-edge technology for designing, provisioning, and executing cloud-native Java applications. It automates web-based applications, manages data, runs and interfaces with Cloud technologies, and provides system solutions and software enablement that powers the most secure, reliable, and performing systems. Liberty InstantOn is a new and exciting technology for Websphere Liberty that enables rapid application startup leveraging Linux checkpoint/restore functionality provided by CRIU. Liberty InstantOn enables cloud-native applications to scale rapidly during peak demand while scaling to zero when the demand reduces. As a member of the Liberty InstantOn development team, your main duties will involve developing support for Liberty InstantOn across the full portfolio of Open Liberty features. As part of the team, you will get involved with all aspects of the Open Liberty runtime, including the various implementations of Jakarta EE and MicroProfile specifications and the value-added features Liberty has, such as Spring Boot support. Are you ready to be part of an amazing, high-energy, diverse, and world-renowned Client Success machine.
* Designing, coding, and testing of Liberty InstantOn features
* Maintenance of Open Liberty and other Open-source components at the Eclipse and Apache foundations
* Presenting about Liberty InstantOn to other internal teams, clients and possibly at conferences
* Working in collaboration with peer team members and other WebSphere teams daily
* Understanding our development infrastructure and best practices
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
* At least 5 years of experience in Java programming
* At least one year of experience with application container concepts (Docker, Podman)
* Strong working knowledge of code debugging techniques (analyzing traces, setting breakpoints, resolving Java coding issues)
* Strong working knowledge of the Linux Operating System.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
* Basic understanding of Jakarta EE (J2EE) and Application Server concepts
* Basic understanding of Kubernetes and/or public clouds, such as AWS EKS and Azure AKS.
* Thrive in collaboration, working side by side with people of all backgrounds and disciplines, and have very strong verbal and written communication skills
* Good at solving problems, debugging, troubleshooting, designing, and implementing solutions to complex technical issues
* Motivated and have a passion for supporting and creating great products