SQL Database Administrator
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Must work Thursday- Monday day shift schedule
Octo, an IBM company, is an industry-leading, award-winning provider of technical solutions for the federal government. At Octo, we specialize in providing agile software engineering, user experience design, cloud services, and digital strategy services that address government’s most pressing missions. Octo delivers intelligent solutions and rapid results, yielding lower costs and measurable outcomes.
Our team is what makes Octo great. At Octo you’ll work beside some of the smartest and most accomplished staff you’ll find in your career. Octo offers fantastic benefits and an amazing workplace culture where you will feel valued while you perform mission critical work for our government. Voted one of the region’s best places to work multiple times, Octo is an employer of choice!
As a Microsoft SQL Database Administrator (DBA) at Octo, you will support the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
Must be able to work days Thursday- Monday day shift schedule.
The DBAs will help create, implement, and manage database administration processes and procedures in a large medical data warehouse environment. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in database security, T-SQL, and PowerShell with the ability to adopt and incrementally improve existing practices and conventions. The DBAs will work in a team environment with other DBA team members, support cross-training for the DBA team, and work with other teams including the ETL and Architecture Teams. The DBAs must be able to provide management of database-related Windows platform components at the server hardware and software level and have extensive experience with current versions of Microsoft SQL Server (2016/2019), on site and in Microsoft Azure. The DBAs will provide support in these database environments, including testing and installation of upgrades and migrations, and contributing documentation to the existing DBA Team handbook.
We were founded as a fresh alternative in the Government Consulting Community and are dedicated to the belief that results are a product of analytical thinking, agile design principles and that solutions are built in collaboration with, not for, our customers. This mantra drives us to succeed and act as true partners in advancing our client’s missions.
Years of Experience: Position requires at least 5 years database administration experience with Microsoft SQL Server (2016/2019)
Education: Bachelor’s degree, or a minimum of 8 years’ equivalent work experience, required.
Location: Fully remote.
Clearance: Ability to obtain and maintain government clearance.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Installation, administration, and maintenance of SQL Server instances.
- Management, maintenance, and setup of test, development, staging and production data warehouse environments.
- Backup / Recovery and Integrity Checks.
- Monitoring and continuous improvement of high availability implementations.
- Regular database capacity planning for the data warehouse environment.
- Documentation of the existing system and improvements as they are planned and implemented.
- Testing, implementing and appropriately documenting all changes.
- Troubleshooting various problems that arise from day-to-day activities and fix the issues.
- Monitoring SQL Server error logs and checking e-mail alerts.
- Documenting database configurations.
- Strong foundation in the creation and maintenance of SQL Server database objects such as tables, indexes, views, stored procedures, and functions.
- Experience with SQL Server security at the server and database level.
- Experience with native Backup and recovery techniques.
- Experience with Windows and SQL Server Fail-over Clusters.
- Extensive experience with Transact-SQL (T-SQL).
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, as well as solid interpersonal skills.
- Strong aptitude to learn and adapt to technology.
- Effective project management, time management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to adapt well to a DBA Team environment and work with other teams.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all levels in an organization.
- Strong team interaction skills.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain public trust clearance.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Clearance: Ability to obtain and maintain government clearance.
Must work Thursday- Monday day shift schedule
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience supporting database and server functions for federal organizations; experience at the VA is preferred.