Manager, Engineering - Mechatronics ABS/EBS
LOCATION: Avon / Ohio (US-OH), United States | BRAND: Bendix | REQUISITION ID: 3775 | JOB GRADE: 18
Want to help shape tomorrow? At Bendix we’ve been doing it for 90 years…setting the standard with advanced dynamic solutions that drive improved commercial vehicle performance and safety. We’re part of the Knorr-Bremse Group, the global leader in braking technologies. As part of our team, you’ll collaborate with a world of talented and dedicated colleagues whose sense of purpose complements your own. You’ll find rewarding opportunities, diverse experiences, partnerships, and an unwavering commitment to ethics and integrity. Innovation is part of our DNA. Achievement drives our culture. Learn more today! www.bendix.com/careers
Position Title: Manager, Engineering – Mechatronics ABS/EBS
Reports To: VP, CoC Brake Control NA
Date Last Revised: 2023-02-22
Leads the North American Brake Control – ABS/EBS Mechatronics engineering organization by providing technical direction and ensuring engineering capability and capacity to support growth in current product portfolio and advanced technologies related to ABS & EBS mechatronics products. Responsible for providing technical guidance in support of product development activities, providing technical resources to the product organization, developing technical skills and competencies, and providing technical support to external customers.
- Provides technical influence and guidance toward product development initiatives
- Provides the Product Organization with capable and skilled Engineering that can function successfully on Self-Guided Scrum Teams.
- Provides development leadership for engineering to promote cross-trained (T Shaped) engineers that have the knowledge and capability to serve multiple functions on small cross functional teams.
- Provides knowledge base relative to standards and regulations to support product development.
- Works with SCRUM teams during development to define/outline DVP Validation / PVP Validation.
- Supports STRAP/MOP activities for long-term planning of skills and capabilities.
- Supports definition of technical specification requirements for suppliers.
- Manages/Prioritizes test resources to support all needed requirements.
- Coordinates and aligns with product and marketing teams to identify benchmark opportunities for competitive products to provide data to product and marketing teams.
- Identifies / Benchmarks best practices for improved engineering test throughput and accuracy.
- Ensures applications support for customers (OEM, Fleet, etc.)
- Develops technical capabilities and unique/specific engineering skill sets. Utilize Kaizen feedback / Develop T-shaped talent.
- Develops and manages intellectual property. Looks for opportunities to utilize advanced development and/or strategic planning for potential commercialization.
- Conducts workforce planning and development of technical resources while mentoring key talent.
- Assesses cost/benefit trade-off of technical solution and leads decision making process.
- Responsible for the execution of approved policy decisions and must demonstrate creativity, foresight and mature engineering judgment in anticipating and solving unprecedented engineering problems, supporting program objectives and requirements, and developing standards for diverse engineering activities.
- Provides leadership, project supervision, co-ordination and guidance to the engineering department according to established Bendix Goal Tree priorities and is committed to developing a strong group of technical engineers who have the skill-set necessary to develop innovative technologies.
- Utilizes resources both internal to Bendix and external to ensure project priorities are accomplished with flexible capacity.
- Proactively anticipates, identifies, and mitigates potential difficulties to ensure technical requirements are achieved.
- Drives continuous improvement in the assigned areas of responsibility, using Six Sigma tools & lean methodologies.
- Communicates with customers and suppliers to ensure that products meet required specifications.
- Drives and leads DFMEA, FMEA and DVP&R process
- Responsible for setting, maintaining, tracking, and meeting relevant department KPIs.
- Knowledgeable in engineering design processes throughout product life cycle (concept, development, product support, end of life).
- Knowledge of TS16949 & ISO9001 standards.
- Knowledge of statistical and six-sigma methodologies including Thought Process Map, Design of Experiments (DOE), Fishbone, etc.
- Knowledge of principles and theories of the engineering profession.
- Sound understanding of the engineering organization.
- 7+ years of experience in engineering roles with progressively more responsible positions
- Prior experience of directly managing and/or supervising engineering staff
- Experience in development of mechatronic devices is required
- Direct relevant experience in the commercial vehicle or automotive industries is preferred
- Global development experience preferred
- A vehicle technology background with a proven track record of successes and experience in managing engineering projects within the commercial vehicle or automotive industries.
- Proficiency with structured development processes which includes FMEA’s, DVP&R, etc. Ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience leading DFEMA processes.
- Excellent communicator both oral and written, problem solver and team player who motivates those around him.
- Highly professional and ethical.
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills with the ability to optimize team performance and development
- Creative thinker, strong leadership skills, self-starter, knowledgeable, strategic thinker.
- Sets uncompromising standards for excellence.
- Growth-oriented mindset with demonstrated innovation experience
- Able to handle multiple conflicting priorities and interface with sales, marketing, and engineering
- Able to work in a cross-functional team in a dynamic working environment including international team members
- Bias for action
- Solid project management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent professional experience preferred
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What does Bendix have to offer you?
- Work/life balance that includes Paid Vacation & Holiday Paid Time Off
- 401k Plan with Company matching
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Educational Assistance Program (Tuition Reimbursement)
- Wellness Program and incentives
- Telework policy
- On-Site Fitness Center
- On-Site Cafeteria with Healthy menu options
- Health and Welfare Insurance Benefits that start on your 1st day of employment:
- Basic Life Insurance
- Basic Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Voluntary Employee-Paid Benefits:
- Medical and Prescription insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance Plans
- Supplemental AD&D insurance for Employee and Family
- Long Term Disability
- Accident Plan
- Critical Illness Plan
- Hospital Indemnity Plan
Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.