Engineer 2-3, Vehicle Systems (Steering)
LOCATION: Rochester Hills / Michigan (US-MI), United States | BRAND: Sheppard | REQUISITION ID: 893 | JOB GRADE: 16
Founded in 1937, R.H. Sheppard Co. Inc. has a rich history of innovative design and American manufacturing excellence. Headquartered in Hanover, Pa., our dedicated team of over 700 employees supply components for the trucking and transportation industry worldwide. We are a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems LLC and a proud member of Knorr-Bremse.
Whatever your career path – whether it’s product innovation through engineering, working directly with our customers, manufacturing quality products or supporting our business in some other way, Sheppard – a Bendix CVS Company – delivers. Visit us online at www.rhsheppard.com/careers
Vehicle Systems Engineer (Steering)
The Steering Systems Engineer is responsible for the design, development, and evaluation of next generation Active Steering systems on commercial vehicles that will support the Highly Automated Driving roadmap.
The successful candidate will actively engage with customer engineering groups and the global Knorr-Bremse team to support development of a global product roadmap which meets the current and future requirements of the North American market.
This position is responsible for the design, development, the design of steering systems on commercial vehicles for:
- Lane Centering
- Position control
- Electronic power steering
- Redundant System Architectures for fail safe operation
- Defines, evaluates and optimizes technological concepts concerning electronic and mechatronic design of steering systems, according to given customer specifications.
- Identifies and defines technical requirements for state-of-the-art steering system components.
- Evaluates different concepts with respect to technological and commercial aspects.
- Creates specifications, under consideration of market and technology trends.
- Plans, conducts and coordinates a broad range of complex engineering technical assignments requiring an in-depth knowledge of advanced techniques and principles and their application.
- Cooperates with customers in assessing and optimizing system specifications, in sales and continuously throughout the whole development process.
- Leads development programs for systems and subsystems.
- Continuously provides qualified feedback to involved development engineers and teams, to improve system performance.
- Monitors system performance in the prototyping, test and verification phase.
- Manages the commissioning phase with the customers, and eventually analyzes malfunctions may arise.
- Develop and execute technical plans (analysis, simulation, vehicle test) to validate system installation.
- Travel to test track, winter test facility and customer demos.
- Normally regarded by Engineering as a technical expert in an engineering technology or product line.
- Would be a resource to other engineers.
- Will direct and coordinate the technical activities of other engineers or engineering support personnel on specific assignments.
- Has appreciable latitude for independent action and decision.
- Position is non-supervisory.
- Duties are performed from general instructions only, with a minimum of supervision.
- Understands processes and products in multiple disciplines including
- Steering systems
- Vehicle dynamic controls with focus in commercial vehicles
- Knowledge of principles and theories of the engineering profession
- Sound understanding of the organization.
- Understands core processes.
- Solid project management skills.
- Strong technical knowledge and project management knowledge and organizational skills.
- Applied knowledge of vehicle dynamics with preference in commercial vehicles
- In-depth knowledge of brake systems or other advanced pneumatic based control systems.
- Six Sigma or statistical tool usage for troubleshooting
- Knowledge of vehicle communications protocols such as J1939 or Power Line Communications (PLC).
- 5+ years of engineering experience, preferably in the automotive or commercial vehicle industry
- 1-5 years of systems engineering or application engineering
- Work experience in Agile product development culture with focus on Scrum for Hardware preferred
- Demonstrated leadership in a global organization with a matrix reporting structure.
- Estimated 20% travel (test track, winter test, customer locations, internationally), including supporting multi-week testing off site.
- Individual must be a U.S. citizen or Green Card Holder
- Familiar with product quality tools such as design and system FMEA, Specification Management, and Design Validation.
- Utilize advanced simulation tools (Simulink, TruckSim, CarSim, etc) to evaluate system functional growth and compare to baseline performance.
- Able to handle multiple conflicting priorities and interface with sales, marketing, and engineering
- Able to lead a team of people to achieve project milestones or implement customer requirements.
- Possesses strong problem-solving skills.
- Possesses good presentation skills
- Possesses good oral and written communication skills.
- Good coaching skills.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team in a dynamic working environment including international team members
- Ability to effectively communicate with others, within and with diverse cultures, both independently and within teams and with cross-functional teams in coordinating and prioritizing development
Bachelor's degree in engineering with 5+ years related experience. Master degree a plus.
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What does Sheppard have to offer you?
- Work/life balance that includes Paid Vacation & Holiday Paid Time Off
- 401k Plan with Company matching
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Educational Assistance Program (Tuition Reimbursement)
- Wellness Program and incentives
- Telework policy
- On-Site Fitness Center
- On-Site Cafeteria with Healthy menu options
- Health and Welfare Insurance Benefits that start on your 1st day of employment:
- Basic Life Insurance
- Basic Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Voluntary Employee-Paid Benefits:
- Medical and Prescription insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance Plans
- Supplemental AD&D insurance for Employee and Family
- Long Term Disability
- Accident Plan
- Critical Illness Plan
- Hospital Indemnity Plan