Mechanical Systems Engineer
LOCATION: Westminster / Maryland (US-MD), United States | BRAND: Knorr Brake Company | REQUISITION ID: 4566 | JOB GRADE:15 | ON-SITE/REMOTE: Hybrid
Knorr Brake Company is the innovative leader in the manufacture and supply of braking systems, passenger doors and climate-control equipment for all types of Mass Transit customers such as: METRO, Light Rail Vehicles, High-Speed Trains, Commuter Rail and Monorail Vehicles for the North America market. We’re part of the Knorr-Bremse Group, the global leader in braking technologies. As part of our team, you’ll collaborate with a world of talented and dedicated colleagues whose sense of purpose complements your own. You’ll find rewarding opportunities, diverse experiences, partnerships, and an unwavering commitment to ethics and integrity. Innovation is part of our DNA. Achievement drives our culture. Learn more today at www.KnorrBrake.com!
The Mechanical Systems Engineer is responsible for the execution of the design and development of pneumatic and/or hydraulic brake systems, track brakes, and controls for passenger rail transit vehicles.
The primary objectives of this position are to develop the braking systems on-time, within the approved budget, and specification compliant while achieving a high level of customer satisfaction and minimizing or mitigating risks.
Note: Systems Engineers are designated as the 'Project Engineer' for the projects assigned. The Project Engineer is the primary technical contact with the customer and end user. The Project Engineer is responsible for the system design, including system calculations, system drawings, integration, testing, commissioning support, and technical support to other internal departments. They ensure the progress of the detail design development meets the project requirements, whilst ensuring specification compliance, or waivers are approved.
- Review customer specifications and create clause-by-clause documentation in response
- Perform system performance calculations
- Prepare technical proposals
- Develop new system specifications and documentation such as system descriptions, tests, and analysis
- Develop system schematics (piping diagrams) and keep updated
- Create system bill of materials, keep updated, and provide costing/weight estimates per system bill of materials
- Monitor/ensure specification compliance and create waivers when required
- Provide customer “feedback” to design engineers and project management
- Provide engineering task schedule input to project management
- Review and approve customer manuals and training materials produced by the Engineering Services Department
- Develop component specifications to meet requirements of the system
- Provide quarterly project updates to Senior Staff and Department Managers regarding project progress
- Check and verify the documentation created by other Systems Engineers
- Assist developing new systems for the North American market, with new functions and features based on customer requirements
- Provide technical support for the other Systems Engineers
- Provide support to the Department Team Leader and Department Manager in training and on-boarding new hires
- When requested, represent the company at customer facing functions such as technical introductory meetings (aka road shows), industry trade shows, or other non-project specific activities that require customer engagement
- Provide support and assistance to other colleagues, as directed, and any other duties as requested.
- Hands-on and shop work expected in the Engineering Test Lab and on passenger rail vehicles.
- Must be able to travel on short notice and sometimes for several weeks at a time (typically travel should be 20% or less). International travel will be required.
- Maintain a safe, clean and healthy environment and ensure the compliance with company's rules and policies.
- Must be able to comply with quality, product safety, and HSE rules, guidelines and regulations. Be energy conscious, if applicable.
- Must understand and comply with applicable standards. ( i.e.: ISO 9001, ISO/TS 22163, ISO 14001, ISO 45001, ISO 50001, and CMMI).
- Maintain and safeguard business records.
- Broad experience and good theoretical knowledge of engineering principals
- Physics (brake calculations, air consumption calculations, thermal calculations, etc. based on Knorr models)
- Value Engineering
- Fluid dynamics
- Strength of Materials
- Operation of computerized test equipment and software
- Communication Proficiency - good verbal and written communication skills
- Organization Skills
- Time Management
- Problem Solving
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Systems Engineering and 3-5 years relevant experience
What does Knorr Brake Company have to offer you?
- Competitive Health Benefits, including Medical, Prescription, Dental, Vision and Virtual visits
- Company-paid Basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Company-paid Short-Term Disability Coverage
- Voluntary life, Disability and other Supplemental coverages
- Identity Theft and Legal Protection benefits
- Health and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Savings Accounts
- Generous 401(k) plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Free corporate passes to the Baltimore Zoo and Aquarium
- Free gym membership
- Additional discounts include cellular, auto, theme park & attraction tickets, local restaurants, bank partnerships, etc.
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid “KBC Cares” Volunteer Time Off
- 12 company-paid holidays (includes full week between Christmas and New Year’s)
- Monthly employee welfare events and corporate outreach (Crab Feast, Take Your Daughters and Sons to Work Day, Chili Cook-Off, etc.)