LOCATION: Westminster / Maryland (US-MD), United States | BRAND: Knorr Brake Company | REQUISITION ID: 3061 | JOB GRADE:15
Knorr Brake Company is the innovative leader in the manufacture and supply of braking systems, passenger doors and climate-control equipment for all types of Mass Transit customers such as: METRO, Light Rail Vehicles, High-Speed Trains, Commuter Rail and Monorail Vehicles for the North America market. We’re part of the Knorr-Bremse Group, the global leader in braking technologies. As part of our team, you’ll collaborate with a world of talented and dedicated colleagues whose sense of purpose complements your own. You’ll find rewarding opportunities, diverse experiences, partnerships, and an unwavering commitment to ethics and integrity. Innovation is part of our DNA. Achievement drives our culture. Learn more today at www.KnorrBrake.com!
The Electronic Systems Engineer (ESE) is responsible for designing and developing pneumatic, and hydraulic brake systems controls for passenger rail transit vehicles. The primary objectives of this position are to develop a braking system control on time and specification compliance while achieving a high level of customer satisfaction and minimizing or mitigating risks through analysis and testing. The ESE is responsible for the control system design, software implementation, and documentation. The ESE will interact with the Systems Engineer for system calculations, integration, testing, and commissioning. The ESE will develop the control system based on standardized hardware platforms and operating systems and assist in developing specialized hardware extensions of the platforms.
- Development of software for real-time embedded controls utilized in the rail industry. Controllers include but are not limited to hydraulic and pneumatic braking controllers, HVAC controllers, and entry system controllers.
- Development of Software documentation suites per IEEE standards, EN standards, or other project requirements. Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations under Windows-based operating systems.
- Working within an engineering team environment, including system, mechanical, product, and test engineers for product development and deployment.
- Working within a program management team and providing input to develop and maintain project schedules and to understand the impact and consequences of project delays.
- Working closely with customer(s) on and off-site during all project phases, including design meetings and presentations, testing, commissioning, and technical support. National and International travel is to be expected and will be dictated by the project phase. Total annual travel is estimated to be approximately six non-consecutive weeks per year on average
- Provide support and assistance to other colleagues, as directed, and any other duties as requested.
- Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
- Programming Skills: C++, LabVIEW, Visual Studio Suite, Linux Embedded, WinCE, Ascet, CODESYS
- Communications: Ethernet protocols, CAN, CANOpen, and Serial communications
- Possess a general understanding of distributed control systems
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Software, or Computer Engineering
3-5+ years of relevant experience
- Experience in rail, automotive, factory automation, or another industrial environment
- Experience with electronics test equipment such as multi-meters, oscilloscopes, frequency generators, etc.
- Familiarity with IEEE and/or EN Documentation Requirements
- Knowledge of, experience with, and commitment to the software engineering process methods SCM (Software Configuration Management), SASD (Structured Analysis/Structured Design) or OOT (Object Oriented Technology), SEI CMMI (Software Engineering Institute’s Capability Maturity Model Integrated)
What does Knorr Brake Company have to offer you?
- Competitive Health Benefits, including Medical, Prescription, Dental, Vision and Video visits
- Company-paid Basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Company-paid Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Coverage
- Accident Insurance
- Health and Dependent Care FSAs
- Generous 401(k) plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Free corporate passes to the Baltimore Zoo and Aquarium
- Free gym membership
- Additional discounts include cellular, auto, theme park & attraction tickets, local restaurants, bank partnerships, etc.
- Paid “KBC Cares” Volunteer Time Off
- Vacation and Sick/Administrative Leave
- 12 company-paid holidays (includes full week between Christmas and New Year’s)
- Monthly employee welfare events and corporate outreach (Crab Feast, Take Your Daughters and Sons to Work Day, Chili Cook-Off, etc.)