Backend Engineer, Content Authorization
SoundCloud is a next-generation music entertainment company powered by an ecosystem of artists, fans, and thriving communities on the pulse of what's new, now and next in culture. As one of the world’s most influential cultural platforms, SoundCloud holds a singular market position as both a music-streaming service with the largest catalog of music, and an artist services and distribution business to help artists grow long-term, successful careers.
We are looking for a backend engineer to join our Content Authorization team!
Our team is currently focused on revamping the way we model content across the entire SoundCloud platform. You will get to work on the services that perform and maintain the complex calculations of accessibility and availability of each track on the platform, interact with multiple systems across the company, work with multiple programming languages, deal with complex content policy calculations, large amounts of data, and high traffic while contributing directly to the way we fundamentally think about content. All of this while maintaining a high bar for reliability and scalability.
- Write high-quality and maintainable code. Test, collaboratively review, and ship it.
- Take ownership of maintaining and developing our backend services with a focus on high availability, low latency, and scalability.
- Collaborate closely with your teammates and stakeholders as the team collectively drives our content platform's vision, direction, and architecture.
- Contribute to building a strong team with high-quality output and create an open and inclusive culture.
- Identify and proactively address challenges on the backend, driving technical decisions within your peer group.
You might be a fit if:
- You are able to adapt quickly to changes in business requirements and work in an agile environment.
- You think about systems and services and deliver high-quality software solutions.
- You have 3+ years of experience working as a software engineer and with object-oriented programming languages, and are able to adapt to new technologies as needed.
- You take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- You are a motivated team player who is happy to collaborate with the engineering organization across.
- Experience in working with large-scale and distributed backend systems is a plus.
- Experience with event pipelines is a plus.
- Experience with Scala and/or Ruby is a plus.
- We’re international! We operate in the US, Berlin and London and all of our communication is in English.
- Our environment is a learning one, with specific focus on development, including a professional development allowance and a possibility to use 20% of your time for a personal project.
- You can contribute to our Engineering Blog post.
- Interested in a gym membership, photography course or book? We have a Creativity and wellness benefit!
- We offer free German courses at beginning, intermediate and advanced.
- Various snacks and goodies at the office!
Diversity at SoundCloud:
SoundCloud is for everyone. Diversity and open expression are fundamental to our organization; they help us build a social platform and global community where anyone can create, discover, and share sounds. We acknowledge the challenges in our industry, and strive to develop an inclusive culture where everyone can contribute.